New Delhi: Come December 1, and you need not have to visit the store of your telecom provider to link your 12-digit Aadhaar with mobile SIM.
The Unique Identification Authority of India has approved the blueprint presented by telcos to operationalize new modes like OTP for Aadhaar-based SIM re-verification of existing subscribers from December 1.
Meanwhile, with linking of Aadhaar with mobile SIM made compulsory, the government has simplified the process to link the 12-digit Unique Identity Number or UID.
The UIDAI took to the Twitter and share, “You can now choose to verify your mobile SIM with Aadhaar without giving your biometrics to mobile companies.”
The government last month had announced three new ways to complete the process of linking mobile phone numbers with Aadhaar to enable existing subscribers to undergo SIM re-verification exercise from the comfort of their home.
While the authentication of the mobile phone number with Aadhaar, a process called re-verification, by visiting stores of telecom firms will continue, the government has ordered the companies to carry out the exercise at the doorsteps of the disabled, chronically ill and senior citizens.
Also Read: Umang app: Here’s how you can avail PF services, book a cylinder
Here’s how you can link Aadhaar with mobile SIM via OTP:
1. Subscribers will enable a scheme to use OTP-based verification for mobile users through SMS or voiced-based IVRS call or via the mobile app.
2. Subscribers need to message Aadhaar number from their registered mobile numbers.
3. The service providers will then do a demographic verification of the number.
4. After the verification process, the service provider will send OTP request to UIDAI.
5. UIDAI will send the OTP to the mobile number
6. The user will send this OTP to the registered mobile number
7. The e-KYC verification process is complete
The OTP process will be useful for people who face a problem with fingerprint authentication, owing to poor fingerprint quality, disability or old age.
As the government intensifies its push for Aadhaar, it becomes essential to update your Aadhaar with your latest mobile number.
Here’s how you can update your mobile number on Aadhaar:
1. Visit official UIDAI website
2. Click on the Aadhaar self-service portal under the ‘Update Aadhaar’ section
3. Enter the Aadhaar number and the verification captcha text to generate an OTP in your existing number.
4. After submitting the OTP, you will be redirected to a new page for upgrading new details.
5. Select ‘Mobile Number’ under ‘Select field(s) to update’ and enter the new mobile number.
6. Click ‘Submit’ and complete the process.
Please remember that while updating your mobile number for the first time, you need to visit nearest Aadhaar centre to collect the Aadhaar Update/Correction Form or download the form the website
“Mobile companies have assured the UIDAI that they will implement OTP-based verification of mobile numbers by month-end and this will allow people to get the verification done without actually visiting the store or retail agent,” said UIDAI CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey.
He said the new methods would also “help achieve the (re-verification) task in the given timeframe (February 6 deadline) and make the whole system more secure as it will prevent misuse of the mobile number by unscrupulous elements”.
The government has mandated February 6, 2018, for linking Aadhaar with mobile SIM.