How to Lock/ Unlock Aadhaar Biometric Data Online : Aadhaar Card is the unique identity proof used for any purpose in india during recent times. But, is your Aadhaar info is safe? There is no genuine answer for this question.When you get an Aadhaar card, you also give the government your fingerprint and retinal scan data. This is called biometric data. Your biometric data can be used for Aadhaar verification, which means that (for example) when you submit an Aadhaar card as a proof of identity to get a SIM card, you can use your fingerprint to allow the respective telecom company to access your identity information. By doing this, it can quickly authenticate the ID, speeding up things like KYC verification.
The mishandle of your identity card can be avoided if you lock your biometric information stored on UIDAI’s servers. You can unlock it whenever you need to use it for verification, and then lock it again. Here is the complete step by step process to lock/Unlock your biometric data online.
Step By Step Process To Lock Biometric Data:
- Open the UIDAI website.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Enter the security code that shows up on the image below your Aadhaar number.
- Click Generate OTP.
- A one-time password will be sent via an SMS to your registered phone number. Enter the OTP on the same page.
- Click Verify.
- Now check Enable biometric locking.
- Next, click Enable after checking Enable biometric locking.
- If you want to disable the lock, uncheck Enable biometric locking and click Disable.
This will lock/ unlock your Aadhaar UIDAI biometric information. The steps above also tell you how to unlock it, when you need to do so.
Note that locking biometric data means you can authenticate Aadhaar based transactions or requests for information only via the OTP sent to your mobile number, not with your thumb or iris scan. Locking and Unlocking of Aadhaar card can be done online only.