- You can lock your Aadhaar biometric data online
- This stops usage of your fingerprint for authentication
- You can authenticate Aadhaar details via OTP too
- Open the UIDAI website.
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number.
- Enter the security code that shows up on the image below your Aadhaar number.
- Click Generate OTP.
- A one-time password will be sent via an SMS to your registered phone number. Enter the OTP on the same page.
- Click Verify.
- Now check Enable biometric locking.
- Next, click Enable after checking Enable biometric locking.
- If you want to disable the lock, uncheck Enable biometric locking and click Disable.
This will lock/ unlock your Aadhar UIDAI biometric information. The steps above also tell you how to unlock it, when you need to do so.
Note that locking biometric data means you can authenticate Aadhaar based transactions or requests for information only via the OTP sent to your mobile number, not with your thumb or iris scan.